At Lakeshore Family Dentistry, located in Slidell, LA, Drs. Kristie Reine and Edmund Ring give their patients the necessary information to help them maintain a healthy oral regimen, and prevent problems like gum (periodontal) disease
What is gum disease?
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is when a bacteria attack your gums and causes inflammation. It's a painful ordeal, so maintaining good oral hygiene is vital. If you don't, you may experience a variety of issues:
- Gum recession
- Bone loss around your teeth
- Tooth loss of teeth
Causes of gum disease
Periodontal disease is related to poor oral hygiene. When a person neglects to take care of their teeth, the rest of their mouth suffers.
Here are a few things that may lead to gum disease:
- Not brushing your teeth twice a day
- Choosing to eat unhealthy foods containing sugars that lead to plaque accumulation
- Chewing tobacco and smoking
- Skipping bi-annual doctor's appointments
- Not Flossing at least once before bed
- Skipping deep dental cleanings
Symptoms of periodontal disease
You may not know you have gum disease at an early stage if you're not visiting your dentist, here are a few symptoms:
- Receding gums
- Bad breath
- Redness or swelling of the gums
- Periodontal abscess
- Bleeding gums
- Loose teeth
Treatment of gum disease
There are a few treatment options your doctor may provide you with, here are some:
- Manually removing plaque by scaling, root planning or debridement.
- Applying antimicrobial products to assist in the healing process of periodontal disease.
- Periodontal surgery may be required depending on the severity of your gum disease
Your gums are just as important as any part of your dental/oral health. Improper care may lead to severe issues or diseases as mentioned above. If you have questions or concerns about gum disease or gum disease therapy, call Drs. Kristie Reine and Edmund Ring at Slidell, LA.